Career planning - Job searching and marketing tools
In the first part of this article we looked at the overview of
the career plan and how to do a self assessment. We will have a
look at marketing tools to find the right job in this section. You
can read about the introduction and self assessment here:
Job searching and marketing tools
Job marketing tools are created over a period of time. These marketing
tools for job hunting will change and improve as your career progresses.
The following tips can be followed to develop the best marketing
tools for job hunting:
- Write the career plan based on the self assessment.
- Write a job search plan which
is basically the same as creating a business plan.
- Write your resume or CV in reverse
- Add new skills and qualifications as they become available.
- Write a general cover letter to introduce your CV and motivate
why you will be the best person for the job.
- Add to this cover letter information
- Use the above cover letter as your basis and change it as required
to target specific positions.
- Do the same with your CV.
- Create a network plan - thus how
you will build contacts.
- Build the contact list and keep it updated.
- Contact the persons on your contact list regularly to ensure
that once you need them as references that they will remember
- Create a reference list and get going as soon as possible.
- You want as many written
references and letters of recommendation as you can get.
- Update all the job searching tools and marketing tools on a
We have dealt with the development of job searching tools in
this section. You will be able to learn about the job searching
process and how to use the job marketing tools to
find the right job in the next article. (click on the link)